Friday, March 13, 2009

My Connection




My personal connection with my blog is that I feel bad for the people that lost their families even the ones who weren’t so innocent in a huge bombing that was dropped on their entire country. I put myself in their shoes because now the survivors are homeless. People are struggling to find new homes, and they were forced to live under bad conditions. I feel bad because there wasn’t much thought put into the idea that if this bomb is dropped on this country that many will die. I put myself in the shoes of those little kids that didn’t have the chance to grow up and see how it feels to live life. Some kids wouldn’t be able to see their first birthdays, take their first steps, and say their first words. The unfortunate wasn’t even thought about. I feel for them because many people didn’t. The innocent wasn’t innocent enough to be discriminated away from the negativity that the selfish soldiers from their country brought upon them. I feel ashamed sometimes that I know that the country that I call my home land is the reason that many children never got the ability of going to school, spend time with their parents, or even say that they have friends because of the bomb that the United States created for warfare. It’s stated that many people thought of the energy that was stored in the bomb to be used for other reasons besides war and taking others lives. I remember when the low income housing (Projects) that I’m from was closed down, many people didn’t know what they were going to do nor where they were going to live because of the situation they were put in because of the negativity that some people were doing that live in our surroundings. My family was blessed enough to get out before there was know hope. My heart goes out to those who lost their lives and those who survived and are still struggling to get back on their feet.

3 comments:

  1. Monte,

    The connection between your own experience dealing with government power that left you without a home and government power that destroyed the homes of innocent people is interesting and makes me want to read more. I'll be curious to see how your study of the history of the atomic bomb affects your perspective. Good work.

    Also, I'm not sure about the second picture, but the first one is a famous one from the Vietnam war. The little girls are running around naked because soldiers dropped bombs filled with napalm (which is kind of like jellied gasoline that burns the skin). This isn't atomic warfare, but it's horrific nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Your personal connections here show real depth of feeling and insight. Of course, I am happy for you that things worked out for your family. Not everyone is so fortunate. And I am moved that you consider yourself blessed in this regard, when you could just be full of hatred and bitterness toward the U.S. government. Instead, you channel your energy in productive ways and continue to strive to be a critically conscious young man. I wonder where you developed your love of and interest in history?

    Now, I am going to push you. See what you can discover about the debate over whether or not it was necessary, according to governmental leaders, to drop the atomic bomb. Hadn't Germany already surrendered? I know that we dropped the bomb on Japan and that Japan had not yet surrendered. Still, I wonder about why our government felt the necessity to rush to develop the bomb, and once it was developed, why it had to be used against our "enemy," a country who today is a great ally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Please include links to your information. And put key information in quotes when it is not your words - such as Feynman, a "mathematical savant" (not even I use that word, although I LOVE it).

    ReplyDelete